Sze Chuan dishes have been a famous food in Malaysia recently, especially this Spicy Chicken which people would normally name it as La Zi Ji. If you order it at a Chinese restaurant, it normally costs around RM30 for one portion. Hence, why don't you try to make it at home? Here is a simple recipe for you to make this mouth-watering dish! This recipe may serve 4 people~
4 pieces boneless chicken leg (cut into cubes)
Half lemon (squeeze into juice)
1.5 tbsp minced ginger
6 cloves garlic (minced)
5 slices ginger
3 stalks spring onion (white part sliced & green part cut into length)
1 tbsp szechuan peppercorn
20 pcs dried chilli (pre-soaked & cut into quarters)
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds
2 tbsp water
1 tsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
1 tsp light soy sauce
1. Put the cubes of chicken into a bowl. Then, add in lemon juice, ginger, light soy sauce and salt.
2. Mix all of them well by hand. After that, set them aside for about 15 minutes.
3. Add oil into a pan and heat it up.
4. When the oil temperature is around 60 degree Celsius, put in the marinated chicken and deep fry them over medium high heat.
5. After 6 to 7 minutes, the chicken will become golden brown. Then, drain them and set them aside.
*Optional: If you would like to make the chicken more crispy, you may refry them for around one minute after draining.
6. Heat the pan again and add some oil on medium heat. Next, put in the minced garlic, ginger, white part of the spring onion.
7. Stir fry them for around 30 seconds until fragrant. Then, add in Szechuan peppercorn and dried chilli. Stir-fry over medium low heat.
8. Put in the fried chicken, water and sugar. Stir fry for around one or two minute until the water evaporates entirely.
9. Lastly, add the green part of the spring onions and sesame seeds. Toss all the ingredients over high heat for a minute.
10. It is ready to serve!
Recipe: Asian Food and Network
*Some warm tips from the chef: You may replace chicken with pork cubes or chicken skin or any meat you like! You are a vegetarian? No issue at all. You may try it with oyster mushroom cubes too!
Hurry up to get all the ingredients you need at the supermarket near you. Cant wait for you to share your opinion about this tasty dish!