This dish of Braised Mushrooms and Abalone is absolutely a treat which every Chinese family would prepare during Chinese New Year! If you haven't tried it before, lets follow the instructions below and have a try this year. You would definitely fall in love with this healthy dish!
12 Chinese mushrooms /
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 small piece of pork belly (28g)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Shao Hsing cooking wine
1 can abalone (drained) (425g)
1 carrot (cut into coins)
12 broccoli florets
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp water
1. Wash and soak mushrooms until soft. (It is recommended to soak them overnight in order to make sure they are puffy enough.) Remove the stalks. Remember to reserve 180ml of the soaking liquid.
2. Prepare a clay pot and pour in some vegetable oil. Heat it up.
3. Add in the pork belly and fry for 2-3 minutes. Then, put in the garlic and continue to stir fry for 30 seconds.
4. Add mushrooms and stir to coat mushrooms with oil.
5. Pour in the soy sauce, Shao Hsing wine and the mushroom soaking liquid. Wait until the mixture boils.
6. Reduce heat and simmer on low for 45 minutes.
7. Prepare another medium sized pot of water. Boil it and add a little salt.
8.Blanch carrots for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove them and dunk them into cold water. Then, drain them. Repeat the same procedure for the broccoli florets.
9. Taste the mushrooms once they've been cooked. Add a pinch of salt if it's not salty enough.
10. Add in abalone. Cook for less than 2 minutes.
11. Ladle mushrooms and abalone out of the pot, leaving the sauce in the pot.
12. Add in cornstarch mixture in order to make the sauce thicken. Turn off the stove.
13. To make an outer circle, arrange blanched vegetables on a plate in a decorative pattern. To make an inner circle, arrange mushrooms in a circle. Then, in the centre, put the abalone. Abalone can be cut lengthwise or served whole..
14. Drizzle sauce over abalone, mushrooms, and vegetables.
15. Ready to serve!
*Recipe from Malaysian Chinese Kitchen
This recipe is easy to follow and the dish is definitely nice to be served! The cooking time is not that long but you just have to soak the mushrooms one day beforewards. Are you ready to taste it? Lets make it!