Having midnight snacks are not really about gaining weight, it turns out that having a midnight craving might not be as evil as you think, as long as eating the right food and amount.
According to the site, having some snacks before bed may improve your sleep by helping you fall asleep easily and stay asleep longer. Also, it may increase muscle mass and resting metabolism in healthy, physically active individuals.
However, avoid choosing unhealthy foods that are high in sugar level/calories, or salty & spicy food, as it might cause indigestion, heartburn, and also weight gain. --Statement from Sleepadvisor.org
So in order to get your midnight to crave fix, at the same time feel less guilty, it's important to choose the right food.
Below are some of the choice that you can try to beat your cravings:-
1. ½ cup oatmeal
2. water/ milk
3. berries/cherries/banana (you can choose any fruits you like)
5. 1 to 2 dashes salt
6. 1 to 2 teaspoons brown sugar/honey
1. Boil the oatmeal with water or milk, seasons with a pinch of salt/ sugar/ honey based on your preference.
2. Add the fruits and nuts on top as toppings.
#2. Smoked salmon, avocado and cucumber bites
The recipe is simple to make, just combining everything together, quick and easy.
1. 1 medium cucumber
2. mashed avocado,
3. 1/2 tbsp lime juice
4. smoked salmon
5. chives, for garnish
6. a pinch of black pepper & pepper
#3. Frozen Banana Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Craving for something sweet? How about the combination of banana & peanut butter?
1. Slice the banana and place the peanut butter on each slice, then put another banana slice on top. Just like a peanut butter sandwich, but replace the bread with banana slices.
*You can microwave the peanut butter to make it easier to spread (around 30 seconds to 1 minute).*
2. Keep the banana sandwiches in the freezer for a few hours and enjoy it!
#4. Low-Fat Greek Yogurt and Fruit
1. 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
2. Berry/cherry/banana (you can choose any fruits you like)
3. 1- 2 tsp honey
4. 2 tbsp toasted sliced almonds/ nuts
Surprisingly, popcorn has less than 100 calories, and rich fiber so one will feel filling after having popcorn. But be sure to skip the butter or less butter to avoid the high calories. Try using some salt, dried oregano, dried thyme, dried rosemary, or any spices if you want to increase the flavor.
#6. Cheese and Crackers
Cheese is high in calcium which helps to get a night of better sleep, however, do control the potion as the high calories and fats in cheese might cause you to gain weight. And for the crackers, try eating the wholemeal crackers.
So these are some of the late-night snakes that you can enjoy without feeling guilty, ok la at least less guilty!
Try some out tonight, after all, it is very bad to sleep on an empty stomach