They don't make em' like this anymore...
One of the most legendary vampire shows of all time, The Vampire Diaries has just turned 14 years old, so here are all the unknown interesting facts about the show you should know about.
Check them out.
1. The CW actually planned to cast Ashlee Simpson as Elena Gilbert.
2. Nina Dobrev is Bulgarian, so Elena Gilbert was ethnicity was changed on the show, as compared to her German character in the book.
3. Matt, Stefan and Tyler all auditioned to play Damon Salvatore.
4. Nina Dobrev played the elder sister to Jeremy, in real life, he's actually older than her.
5. Both Tyler Lockwood and Klaus Michaelson was supposed to be cut out of the show, but the writers decided to keep them on.
6. Damon and Elena were actually lovers in real life, but then split.
7. In season 6, all the episodes are named after songs from the 90s, to represent Damon and Bonnie being stuck in the past.
8. 15. In Season 2, Episode 12, Isobel's phone number was shown. Fans who actually called the number were treated with a recorded message from Elena, Stefan and Damon.
9. In real life, Caroline actually dated Jeremy and then Matt briefly, during the show's run.
10. 17. Season 8 is an homage to Season 1. Every episode title in Season 8 is named after a quote from the first season.
11. Ian Somerhalder auditioned for the part of Christian Grey in Fifty Shades of Grey but didn't get the part. In episode 1 of Season 8, he is seen reading the book.
12. Damon and Elena weren't supposed to get together until much later in the series. Fans were supposed to wait 3-4 seasons, but showrunner Julie Plec gave in.
13. It took 3 hours for the actors to go from human to vampire; the process included special contact lenses, prosthetics, fitted fangs and make-up to create the veins under their eyes.
14. The Vampire Diaries was officially the longest-running vampire show ever on television with 8 seasons.
And, that's your 14 facts! Happy 14 years The Vampire Diaries.